VP Overview – November 2016
Vidya Poshak – An Overview
Vidya Poshak, India is a registered Non-Government Organization (NGO), serving education community. The organization was started by a group of compassionate people in the year 2001 at Dharwad, Karnataka with the aim of supporting financially challenged bright students.
Though Vidya Poshak was started with the aim of supporting students financially to pursue higher education, many other programs evolved during the journey. Some of our major projects are Nurture Merit Program, Graduate Finishing School, Centre for Development of Soft Skills, School Leadership Development Program, Avanti Learning Center and Abdul Kalam Susandhi Fellowship Program.
Nurture Merit Program
This program includes Financial Assistance, Library/Book Bank facilities and Residential Bridge Camp. The mission is to provide financial assistance to meritorious students who cannot afford to continue their higher education owing to their financial difficulties. To date Vidya Poshak has invested around more than INR 300 million on this. The program depends entirely on private organizations/companies and individuals for contribution. Three hundred senior volunteers and two hundred youth volunteers across 12 districts are rendering their passionate services free of cost.
- Financial Assistance: Financial assistance to continue education post 10th grade, which will cover college fees, exam fees and transportation. Along with this additional amount for coaching is given. In some extreme situations additional assistance is extended to cover accommodation and boarding. The identification of students is done by physical visits to students dwelling units to assess the need to ensure only deserving applicant received the assistance. More than 500 volunteers spread across the state identify the deserving students. This is a unique feature of Vidya Poshak. The organization has so far disbursed more than INR 160.00 million towards financial assistance. More than 15,000 students have been assisted in over 19 districts of Karnataka. The progress of each student is closely monitored throughout the support period. Resources for all these programs are generated through individual donors and private organizations who share the social concern.
- Books & Library Services: Free Text books are lent to all the students through libraries and book bank centers. Students can take home academic text books for a year and return the same at the end of the year so that the same books are put in circulation. One Central Library, 5 branches and 28 rural Book Bank centers (all run by volunteers) are catering to the students. Overall 77,000 books are available at our library centers and nearly 1,87,000 students have got benefit out of this in past 10 years.
- Residential Bridge Camps (RBC): The RBCs aim at bringing positive change in the Personality, Career and Skills of the students over 9 days of residential training. Arranging various skill and need based training for the students gives them an exposure and also builds confidence in them. It is an effort to bridge the gap between the student and her/his dream. It augments the needs of students which they rarely get in their formal schooling. Under this program more than 8400+ students have been trained through 154 camps.
Abdul Kalam Susandhi Fellowship Program
Abdul Kalam Susandhi Fellowship is a unique program, a small step to transform the lives of rural and poorer families by enabling their children to pursue a world class professional program in the hi-tech domain of VLSI/Embedded/Software. This creates an opportunity which is otherwise unavailable to them. The program is designed to nurture their inherent strengths while at the same time impart significant new skills, both technical and life skills, to enable them to confidently enter the Hi-Tech domain of VLSI/Embedded/Software.
Program Overview: AKSF Fellowship program is modeled on the “Gurukul” philosophy, where the students will be having one year residential program. This is an intense learning phase and the students learn several aspects during this phase.
The students will learn the concepts of the subject by doing the activities which will not only give the knowledge but also experience, which is the unique speciality of this phase of training. As this is the residential program the students will learn to get adapted to the different situations. By the consistent hard work and dedication the trainees will enhance their overall personality in such a way that they are immortal in their career.
As the students will learn the technical and non technical skills they will be able to work at the level where it matters most.
All the students of batch one & two have been placed successfully after completion of their trainings. All the details are available in the website so please give website link http://www.eklakshya.com
VP – Avanti Learning Center
About Avanti Learning Centre: Avanti Learning Centre is an award-winning, fast-growing venture backed education company started by IIT and Harvard University alumni. Avanti is helping high-school students across India study science through peer collaboration-a method developed by prof.Eric Mazur, Dean of Applied physics at Harvard University and chair of Avanti’s Academic Advisory Board.
Vidya Poshak is associated with Avanti in an effort to conduct an after-school Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics excellence program for class XI and XII students in the Hubli and Dharawad region. This program will be focused on balanced preparation for competitive engineering exams and board exams. Avanti’s curriculum is designed to complement teaching during school hours. The program focuses on reinforcing conceptual understanding, providing additional problem solving preparation and helping students find and achieve their academic and career goals.
Avanti’s team is made up of graduates of the IITs and Harvards. We have rich and varying experiences in entrepreneurship, research, medical devices and analytics outside of our subject matter expertise.
Goals & Objectives of the VP-Avanti Program:
- Make students independent and self-reliant learners and foster a culture of collaboration.
- Improve learning outcomes for students.
- Produce better percentages on board exams and good ranks in competitive exams.
- Reduce the pressure student’s face in managing their priorities and time.
Pragati Poshak – Graduate Finishing School
The Graduate Finishing School (GFS) is Vidya Poshak’s answer for the problems faced by fresh graduates when entering the job market. GFS is a three month intensive residential program to give graduates from economically disadvantaged backgrounds the life skills, computer knowledge, career guidance, soft skills and English skills they need to successfully find meaningful employment. The students are trained every day, twelve hours a day, for three months. The training methodology is learner-centered and learner-led, with daily mentor-led activity sessions in groups of no more than eight. The program helps these students find placement with various companies, mainly in the corporate sector.
Till date more than 2500 unemployed graduates have been trained and successfully placed with an average salary of more than INR 10,000 per month
Education Loan awareness and Advocacy Program: (ELAAP)
In order to enable youth to acquire the technological and professional skills, Government of India has formulated a policy of providing Education Loan and Loan for Vocation Education and Training. These endeavors need propagation to the corners of the country in order to succeed. Vidya Poshak is proud to launch the Education Loan Awareness and Advocacy Program to enable this propagation. Vidya Poshak is conducting awareness campaigns in collaboration with banks and government officials to guide deserving students in getting education or vocational training loans. Till 2015 Vidya Poshak created awareness in getting education loans from Nationalised Banks for nearly 10,000+ students.
VP – Skill Development Programs
SDP, a training program of VidyaPoshak initiated to cater the soft skills training requirements in this region. Since its indroction this program has trained 1,00,000 +students, 4,663 Teachers and 5728 Employees from more than 300 institutes. SDP is used for both business and nonprofit training program of VidyaPoshak. SDP aims at providing quality training at affordable cost to the rural collages. SDP conducts workshops for teachers, students, parents and employees.
- More than 15,000 students have been assisted in over 19 districts of Karnataka.
- In all 4300+ graduates have settled through gain full employment in their life and brought their families out the clutches of economic backwardness.
- 1, 00,000+ students, 4,663 teachers and 5,728 employees were trained through different training program.
- Overall 77,000 books are available at our library centers and nearly 1,87,000 students have got benefit out of this in past 10 years
- More than 300 Million Indian rupees invested in last 15 years for Empowerment of Youth.
- Winner 2016 Spirit of Humanities award for Excellence in Education
- Winner 2013 eNGO award for Organizational efficiency
- Winner 2013 Manthan Social Media Award.
- Vidya Poshak was the regional finalist for “Apeejay India Volunteer Award” in the category ‘volunteer involving NGO of the year 2011’.
- Vidya Poshak was adjudged as “Technology for NGO” by Microsoft, USA and a video document on VP could be seen on MS website.
- Declared as a Platinum Partner by Deshpande Foundation in the year 2009.
- Vidya Poshak is honored by Kannada Sahitya Parishattu, Dharwad taluk in its First Sahitya Sammelana Dharwad.
For more information, please contact:
Umesh : email@example.com / 7259807722
Venky : firstname.lastname@example.org / 9845038017
Kartik : email@example.com / 8861201828
First Floor, Yashoda Sadana, Vidyagiri, Dharwad 580 004, Karnataka, India